CVGA Residency - Adaptive Gaming

This summer, the CVGA hosted our first ever cohort of student residents! Each of the residents has composed a blog post about their experiences, and we'll be sharing them over the next week or so.

Our first blog post is from Shiryn Anissa Noor Affendi, one (of two) residents who worked in the area of Adaptive Technology for Gaming:

Gaming has evolved remarkably over the past few decades. The University of Michigan’s Computer and Video Game Archive (CVGA) on the fourth floor of the Shapiro Library (UGLI) proves that to be a fact. The room is set up so the tables snake around to showcase gaming through the decades, from an Atari to the newest Harry Potter game on the PS5. I’ve heard plenty of oohs and ahhs from newbies to regular patrons alike. I’m Shiryn, and I’d love to take you along my journey with the CVGA over the summer! As a participant in the CVGA’s student residency program in the Accessible/Adaptive Gaming Team, one of the overarching goals was to provide all users access to play and learn from the CVGA’s (huge) game collection.

Shiryn taking a selfie outside of the CVGA

Me on my first day!

Over 14 weeks in the summer, I spent most of my time working with the available adaptive tech in the CVGA – I had a ball saying, “I play video games as my job!” when I discussed summer plans with people. Nonetheless, that would be selling the experience short. In truth, it was a lot of research, trial and error, and revision in the hopes that anyone could walk in and play any game they wanted, regardless of their ability. Through mediums like AirTable, a 250+ page Google document, and creating a Canvas course (coming soon...), the adaptive/accessible gaming team sought to document everything we learned that we hoped to pass on.  

A collection of adaptive gaming tech in the CVGA

Adaptive and Accessible Gaming Tech at the CVGA

In mid-June, the CVGA student residents attended Michigan Medicine’s Rehab Arcade, where we observed therapists from UM’s Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Department adapt accessible gaming technology for their differently-abled gamers. While some folks opted to play Rocket League, some chose Minecraft or Madden NFL. Xbox’s Adaptive Controller is designed as a hub, allowing players who can’t use traditional controls to plug in their own joysticks, buttons, and controllers to suit each player. On that note, user testing is crucial in researching accessible gaming since theory and practice can be worlds apart. Hearing the input from the gamers, caregivers, and therapists at the Rehab Arcade is invaluable in guiding the refinement process of adaptive gaming. 

gamers in wheelchairs playing video games

Michigan Medicine’s Rehab Arcade

a gamer playing Rocket League using adaptive gaming controllers

Adaptive Gaming Setup at Rehab Arcade

The future of adaptive gaming is incredibly bright BUT (and I’ve learned that there’s always a but…), the most significant difference I’ve learned is differentiating adaptability and accessibility. For instance, The Last of Us 2’s 60 different options for vision, hearing, and motor accessibility for gamers to simply plug-and-play. On the contrary, the Xbox Adaptive Controller has allowed me to adapt almost any game (be it for PS or Xbox) to my abilities, but switching up for each game is time and energy-consuming. While some gaming companies aim to arrive at adaptability, the time and energy difference between adapting a game to suit an individual versus a baked-in accessible game is still a large gap. 

Moreover, the viability of adaptive gaming solutions is achieved through connections made in the UM Library community. Through Erika Ervin, the Shapiro Design Lab’s Technology & Media Production Specialist, I learned how their teams constructed some of the CVGA’s adaptive gaming tech (like the joysticks in the picture below!). Additionally, making connections with Henny Tasker, a Digital Learning Librarian, helped me construct a Canvas course for accessible and adaptive gaming from the ground up with ease. 

An Xbox Adaptive contrller with various controllers attached, and Stardew Velley splash screen on the television

My Playtesting Setup at the CVGA

As I wrap up, I’d be remiss if I didn’t express profound gratitude for the Giving Blue Day sponsors who have allowed me to invest my time in extensively researching, playtesting, and engaging with the community of gamers with disabilities. These partnerships transcend financial support; they represent a shared vision of a more inclusive gaming world. To David Carter, the literal Superman of the CVGA, thank you for helping the adaptive tech team propel our vision into reality. I hope that user testing for gamers with disabilities will happen more frequently to ensure that the CVGA can cater to the broad spectrum of gamers with disabilities, ranging from mobility issues to visual and hearing impairments, cognitive challenges, and more.